The process to change your name servers will vary depending on where your domain name is registered, however we have included a step by step guide for the most common providers below:
- Log in to your GoDaddy account.
- Next to Domains, click Manage.
How you set your custom name servers will depend on the view of your account.
In Card View, your account will look like this:
- Select the domain name you want to use, click (Settings) and select Manage DNS.
- Under Nameservers click Change.
- Under Choose Your New Nameserver Type, select Custom.
- Enter the custom nameservers your hosting provider gave you and click Save.
In List View, your account will look like this:
- Select the domain names you want to modify.
- From the Nameservers menu, select Set Nameservers.
- Under Setup Type select Custom.
- Click Enter Custom Nameservers.
- Enter the custom nameservers your hosting provider gave you and click OK.
After updating your nameservers, allow 4 to 8 hours for other networks to access information for .com and .net domain names, and allow 24 to 48 hours for other networks to access information for all other domain extensions. If you have difficulty, contact our 24/7 technical support team for assistance.
You can update the Name Servers on any domain name within your Account Manager. To update the name servers:
- Click on My Account at the top of this page.
- Ensure that Account Manager is selected.
- Enter your Username and Password and click Log In.
- Click on Domains in the menu bar at the top of the page.
- Click on the domain you wish to update.
- In the Name Servers section, click the menu icon on the right and select Add Name Server from the drop-down menu.
- To apply a new name server enter the Host Name and then click Update (Leave the IP address fields blank).
- To delete a name server click Delete to the right of the name server you wish to delete and click Update.
- Log into your Account.
- Manage the domain you want to make changes to.
- On the next page, click Domain Name.
- Scroll down to the Domain Delegation section.
- Type in the name servers you want to point your domain name to in the host name text fields.
- Click Update Name Servers.
Please note that DNS changes take several hours to propagate. Changes won’t be visible right away.
- Log in to your MyAccount and select Manage Domain Names.
- Double click the Domain to go to the domain management screen
- Select Redelegate Domain Name and enter the new Name Servers. The screenshot below shows you where to find this link.
When you re-delegate a domain, it takes some time for the changes to take effect. This is referred to as propagation. This typically takes somewhere between 24 and 48 hours to fully propagate, however you will most likely notice your domain resolving to its new nameservers alot quicker.
- Login to your VIPControl account.
- Click the Manage My Domains button on your VIPControl homepage.
- Select the domain name you that you wish to update the name servers.
- In the drop down options click Manage DNS.
- Click the Custom Name Servers button.
- Enter the name servers in the provided boxes as required; minimum two needed.
- Click Update Name Servers.
The Admin Panel allows you to define default name servers (DNS) for all new domain name registrations. This is ideal for resellers processing a high volume of domain names or who are using external hosting networks.
- Login to the Admin Panel.
- Hover over Account Settings at the top of the page and click Manage Account.
- On the new page, scroll down to Name Servers.
- Enter up to three default name servers under the Name Servers area.
- Click Update.
Login to your domain name provider and look for your domain name.
Your domain name will have settings, such as DNS settings, Name Server Information, etc.
Locate your ‘Name Servers’. Delete or modify all the entries and replace with your new name servers.
Still having problems?
Contact your domain name registrar (the company you purchased your domain name from) to assist you further.