Once you get an order, you need to gather the products, prepare them for shipping, then send them to the customer. You will need to plan how you will handle the various costs and effort this involves.
There are different shipping services, such as next-day, second-day, and ground shipping, which you may want to offer your customers.
With all of this, your customers want to know what their shipping costs will be before they place an order. Providing a variety of options for real-time shipping cost calculations is a must.
Choosing a Shipping Carrier
When choosing a Shipping Carrier, keep the following things in mind:
For more information on this subject, see our comprehensive support articles.
- What product types are you shipping? - Each carrier has different restrictions, so whilst one carrier may suit your product, another, cheaper carrier may not.
- Is the shipping carrier reputable? - Customers enter their credit card information with greater confidence when they trust the carrier.
- Do you require Pick Up's and Drop Off's? - If you need to drop off packages, find out where the nearest drop-off location is, along with their hours of operation.
- Do you require international shipping? - It's always good to have the idea of global shipping in the back of your mind.
- Should you use multiple carriers? - Pit multiple carriers against one another in the ultimate fight for your logistics business.
- Should you use a Shipping Aggregator? - Shipping Aggregators such as Temando and Smart Send are essentially shipping brokers that lease with a variety of shipping companies on your behalf.