We understand that SEO can be a bit of a mysterious beast. So we reached out to our friends from Alpha Digital, to share some of their best practice tips to help you make your product descriptions SEO friendly.
Product descriptions should always aim to engage with users and of course, persuade them to buy your products. If your product descriptions are lacking in creativity and quality, they’re not only hindering your sales, but also affecting how your products are discovered in Google.
Today, we thought we’d provide you with some tips based around the following three core guidelines:
1. Original and enticing description
2. Accurate and detailed product specifications
3. A variety of relevant keywords that sound natural
With these in mind, here’s how we recommend you create a product description that will help convert prospects into customers and be search engine friendly too.
- Creating original descriptions whenever possible will help reduce the chance of having duplicate content from the manufacturer’s generic description. A general rule of thumb is to stay away from duplicate content as much as possible – you wouldn’t want to cross the Google gods!
- Keeping it short, sweet, and engaging is incredibly important. Having a unique description of around 150-200 words can help engage with users while being optimised for search engine spiders.
- Adding synonyms of your products to the description can help you weave in keywords. For example, football boots are also known as football cleats, soccer boots, soccer cleats, football spikes and turf shoes.
- Taking into account your customers and their product knowledge is vital. If your audience knows specific descriptive term or slangs, leave them in the description.
- Adding common questions and answers to your descriptions can help you add more relevant keywords. For example, if you are selling football boots, your customers may want to know if they are leather. Add the question and the answer; it will help with long tail keyword searches.
- Question: Are the Nike 2015 football boots made using leather?
- Answer: Yes, the above product is the Nike leather football boots 2015 edition.
While the above tips above will improve your SEO performance and engagement metrics, they are only a small part of an overall SEO strategy. However, these best practices will allow your product pages to be seen relevant through searches while helping gain potential conversions.